FLA: After you Apply
Results, Matriculation, Credits, Visa and Housing
After you apply, you will find out the result and go about the entrance procedures once you win admission.
Notice of Results
Applicants can confirm their acceptance/rejection on “MyPage” via the application portal (indicated in the Application Procedure) from 10:00 a.m. (JST) on the results-notice date (See When and How to Apply ).
- Sophia University will not disclose the results of an application by telephone, fax or e-mail.
- Acceptance is valid only for the semester specified in the letter of acceptance.
- No physical materials (including a letter of acceptance) will be sent to applicants from the Sophia Admissions Office.
- A list of applicants on the waiting list may be released at the same time as the notice of results. These applicants will be admitted to enroll at Sophia if and when there is a vacancy.
To secure admission, a newly admitted student must pay the fees listed below prior to university entrance and submit the necessary forms to the Sophia Admissions Office by the deadlines. (See When and How to Apply )
The process would be as follows:
1. Click “Entrance Procedures” on “MyPage” to download the booklet of “Entrance Procedures.”
Please read through all the information and follow the instructions in this booklet to secure admission.
2. Choose the program to start entering the required information and upload a face photo online.
3. Print out the designated documents (payment slip for payment in Japan, Student Record / Pledge).
4. Complete the payment of the fees and post mail the required documents by the matriculation deadline.
The fees due prior to university entrance include some items paid only once at the time of matriculation, and other items which are the first installment of fees due each semester or year. For details, refer to Fees and Scholarships.
The fees due prior to University entrance in the academic year 2022 are as follows.
*The exact amount of the fees for 2023 entry will be decided in September 2022.
The fees due prior to university entrance 2022 for Liberal Arts
|Entrance Fee||200,000 yen|
|Tuition Fee||499,000 yen|
|Semester Enrollment Fee||30,000 yen|
|Education Enhancement Fee||125,000 yen|
| Premium for Personal Accident |
Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Reserch
|2,650 yen（first-year student）|
|1,400 yen（transfer students）|
|Total fees for freshmen||856,650 yen|
|Totoal fees for transfer students||855,400 yen|
- Tuition fees are revised annually based on the rate of inflation.
- Education Enhancement Fee for the second semester on is 105,000 yen.
- The fees due prior to University entrance are not refundable. However, if a student notifies Sophia University of his/her intention not to attend by the appointed deadline, these fees, with the exception of the Entrance Fee and a handling charge, may be refunded. For details, please refer to the “Entrance Procedures” leaflet.
Transfer of Credits and Residency Time
Students who have studied at other universities before entering Sophia University may be eligible to transfer credits after consultation with the Chair or the student’s Area Coordinator. Application for transfer of credits should be made within three months of entering Sophia University. The syllabus of each subject must be attached with the application.
There are two categories for transferring credits and residency.
A. Transfer of Credits and Residency Time for Students Admitted as Transfer Students:
As a general rule, a transfer student must have completed at least two years of university/college work as a regular student at another institution before entering Sophia.
Transfer students may transfer up to 62 credits from their previous institution, and up to 30 credits from exchange/non-degree study at Sophia before entering as transfer students. If transfer students wish to transfer additional credits earned through study abroad after they have entered the FLA, up to 30 credits may be transferred. However, the total number of credits transferred to the FLA may not exceed 74 credits. For example, a student who transferred 62 credits from their previous institution may transfer no more than 12 credits from Sophia’s study abroad program (62+12=74 credits).
Transfer students may transfer a two-year period of time in residence at their previous university/college. Acceptance as a third-year student does not necessarily mean that the student will automatically graduate in two years.
B. Transfer of Credits Earned before Entering as First-year Students:
Students who have earned credits at another university, or from exchange/non-degree study at Sophia before entering as first-year students may transfer up to 30 credits for each case. If students wish to transfer additional credits earned through study abroad after they have entered the FLA, up to 30 credits may be transferred. However, the total number of credits transferred to the FLA may not exceed 74 credits. Students using this system may transfer credits, but not residency time.
To qualify for early graduation a student must complete at least three years (six semesters) of study, complete all credits required for graduation, and have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or above. The FLA faculty meeting will review and decide upon applications for early graduation.
Visa Status and Housing
Students coming from abroad to study at Sophia University must have a college student status of residence or any other appropriate status of residence such as a diplomatic, official, or dependent status. A temporary visitor status is not acceptable. To qualify for a college student status of residence, a student is required to register for at least 10 hours of class time (equals to 6 classes) per week. Additional information concerning college student status of residence will be sent to each student after acceptance.
Sophia University has several off-campus dormitories and offers affiliated housing options. For more information, please refer to “Housing” (*Go to our Web Piloti website).
Request for Withdrawal
The refund policy will be notified to admitted students via the Entrance Procedures booklet.
Following the instructions in the booklet, fill out both forms below and submit the files to the Admissions Office if you decide to withdraw.
Request for Refund of Matriculation Fee
Notification Sheet for Remittance (Domestic)
Notification Sheet for Remittance (Overseas)
*Fill out only the notification sheet which applies to the kind of remittance you used (Domestic or Overseas)