SPSF: When and How to Apply
When and How to Apply for SPSF
The following information was made as of May 2022.
Subsequent to the above date, unavoidable circumstances due to COVID-19 may result in changes in the University’s policies and guidelines. Please note that in cases where any changes are made, the latest information are to be updated on this website as well as the booklet of the “Application Procedure.”
The updated information will also be notified to registered applicants via email once the application period opens.
For Applicants for Autumn First Period with the IB Predicted Grades from November 2022 Session
If you’re applying with predicted grades of November 2022 session, make sure to request the “Transcript of Results” to be sent to Sophia University from the IBO in advance so the result reaches Sophia University by Friday, January 13, 2023.
Your application will be screened with the final result and the acceptance will be unconditional. Please see details in the “Application Procedures” booklet.
■Autumn 2023 entry (September)
|Application period(on-line)||November 16, 2022, 10:00 a.m. – December 9, 2022, 11:59 p.m. (JST)|
|Materials Receipt Deadline||December 14, 2022|
|Notice of Results||February 10, 2023, 10:00 a.m. (JST)|
|Matriculation Fee Deadline||April 12, 2023|
|Application period(on-line)||March 15, 2023, 10:00 a.m. – April 5, 2023, 11:59 p.m. (JST)|
|Materials Receipt Deadline||April 12, 2023|
|Notice of Results||June 2, 2023, 10:00 a.m. (JST)|
|Matriculation Fee Deadline||July 12, 2023|
・ SPSF is open for first-year students, Autumn entry only. Prospective students can apply for multiple departments (application fee is required per department).
・ An applicant who has not been accepted in a past application may re-apply for the subsequent application periods.
All applicants must read through the Application Procedure booklet.
For 2022 admission, download and check the 2022 Application Procedure(279.45 KB)
Application is accepted through the following steps. Make sure to complete each step.
- Register for the on-line application website (indicated in the booklet above) to create your “My Page.”
Important information will be sent to the email address you register here until enrollment in Sophia. Please make sure to use an email address you’ll always be able to check even after leaving your current school.
- Make sure to include all your application information during the on-line application (choose all the departments you’re applying for).
Registration for application is open only during the online application period for each admission.
- Pay the application fee and submit your application online.
- Mail the printed application forms and other application materials to the Sophia Admissions Office by express traceable shipping service.
Please make sure to read the Application Procedure booklet for the details about application documents or your application might end in a failure.
1. Application Forms
2. Essay (500 words) (use the form provided)
3. Official Transcripts
4. Certificate of Graduation from High school
If you need a form, please use the form provided.
5. Standardized Test Scores (SAT/ACT/IB Diploma/GCE A levels)
6. Proof of English Proficiency (TOEFL®/IELTS)
7. Two Letters of Recommendation (use the form provided)
8. Photocopy of Passport
9. Application Materials Checklist (use the form provided)
- Essay Form(14.89 KB) for Journalism, Education, Sociology, Economics, Management
- Essay Form for Global Studies(16.54 KB)
- Application Materials Checklist(87.59 KB)
- Recommendation Letter Form WORD(16.70 KB) / PDF(44.19 KB)
- International Baccalaureate Predicted Grades Report Form WORD(23.87 KB) / PDF(4.92 KB)
- GCE Predicted Grades Report Form WORD(20.97 KB) / PDF(4.54 KB)
- Certificate of Graduation/Expected Graduation Form WORD(24.93 KB) / PDF(4.10 KB)
Application Fee : 35,000 yen
On-line payment handling fee of 990 yen will be charged in addition to the application fee.
Payment should be made by credit card, at a convenience store (inside Japan), via Pay-easy, or via on-line banking during the application period. Payment must be completed by 11:59 p.m. (JST) of each on-line application deadline. After the deadline, application will not be accepted. The application fee is non-refundable once it is paid.
For more information on the program, housing and scholarships, go to our Web Piloti website.